Monday, March 10, 2008

Green Monday In Cyprus (beginning of Lent )



The day after the Big carnival parade is the Green Monday, the first day of lent. The Cypriots are deeply religious and young or old, most fast during the forty day period. They go vegetarian for the duration. Green Monday is the first day of fasting. The many picnic sites are full of people eating, drinking, enjoying with friends and family and flying kites. Yes that is the tradition; the sky is full of colourful kites of all sizes.
Its a really fun day out in the open countryside and weather at this time of the year is just beautiful, And the table is laden with variety of salads, pickles, olives, breads and delightful traditional vegetarian and sea food preparations. All washed down with the famous Cypriot wines......In our case lots of it ; )


Well this year we were three couples and myself and all the kids too, we have been doing this tradition since 1984 without fail,we started off just 2 couples but as the years have gone by more and more of our friends have joined in until it has became quite a big group ! and the kids have gown up now but still love coming !



Here are 2 of our daughters ages 3-5 in 1990 Laura and Natalie

We were very lucky this year with the weather , it was absolutely boiling , and we had to have sme umberellas for shade !
we had a bit of fun this year too as one of the guys came in his carnival outfit , the parade was yesterday ,but I think Marios really fancied himself as a mexican bandit of some kind and was a bit reluctant to remove his poncho and sombrero hat !


Well over the years after we have eaten and had our fill of all the goodies like grilled squid , King prawns and other seafood stuff,







the guys would try to play a game of football with the younger boys and the woment would go for a walk around the country to try and burn some of the calories off ....well the most energetic thing we managed this year seemed to be the women lifting their wine glasses and the men sitting playing backgammon !!! old age creeping up ....even the kids who used to go and find frogs and other pond life to have some fun have grown out of those activities and were just lounging about with I pods in their ears .....oh well still we had a great memorable time, its so nice that in Cyprus the weather permits these wonderful days ....speaking with my mom in the UK today they were having Gale force winds that were disrupting a lot of things including the flights into some of the airports , well we had just enough to help fly some kites.

Well all in all we had a great Green Monday 2008 , I dont think I will be her next year , if all goes to plan I will be with my love in USA well I will not be here in body but in Spirit I think I will always be with my friends here in Cyprus , and who knows if Chester and I come up with the winning numbers on the Lottery then we mat just fly back and join them again ! but anyhow I guess I could always start a tradition over in North Carolina of having a Green Monday of our own ,



Well if you want to see more of our pics from todays picnic just click on the link here :
http://picasaweb.google.com/alison.markides/GreenMonday2008

Off to have a sleep now its been a long long day ......

1 comment:

garazon said...

What a wonderful post my love, it made me wish even more I was there with you today. And the pictures were all great too, fabulous shots. They really captured the feel of the day. that was one thing stood out from my time in Cyprus, was the sort of laid back approach to a lot of things, well I now its getting crazy there at times as well as here or anywhere else with people pushing and moving baout ad traffic jams etc, but when it comes time to kick back and relax the cypriots know what they're doing! What is better than a picnic outside with a beautiful countryside and the fresh air, just sitting and chatting or flying a kite. Oh I cant remember the last time I ever even attempted to fly a kite. Well over 20 years now I imagine. Its way overdue! Well we will fly one next year my love :) and a picnic too! :)

I dont know why but this year's Green Monday was on my mind a lot and I really was wishing with all my might I could have been there. Well I think part of it was knowing it would be your last and it would be a bit special in that regard. I am glad though I managed a few words with you there before the signal gave up, and all those hellos to america over the phone at once made me smile so big and it made me feel just for a few seconds I really was there. Wonderful. Well I know after what, 24 years now without fail of being there with allyson ans the others too over the years its going to seem strange next year for them. Well we will find some way to be a part of it, just pray the cell signal is better in that area when time comes! lol
Well let me go write a short mail too before it gets too late, I was working on the pc this evening and getting a late start, then sidetracked with daydreaming myself there, and looking at the pictures on the picasa site too.
Hey who was it brought the Newcastle to begin with! lol Had to been one of the Geordies, or one married to them! love you angel xxx